After a bit of tinkering, I managed to provision my ADP1 setup without a SIM card. A bit of google, and here is what I did:
- Download the Android SDK. In my case, I unzipped it to C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1.
- Connection the phone via the USB cable to my computer. When the phone asks for a device.
- You'll get the new hardware dialog, when prompted for the drivers, you'll need to specify the location. The Android SDK has the drivers, in my case they were at C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\usb_driver\x86.
- Once you have the drivers installed cd to c:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools.
- Type adb devices. This should list all the Android devices that you have connected. If you don't see any devices listed, then you have a problem.
- Type adb shell. This will direct your commands to your ADP1
- Now while at the adb shell, su to root, then :
- cd /data/data/com.android/providers.settings/databases/
- sqlite3 settings.db
- INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES ('device_provisioned', 1);
- Reboot the phone
- adb shell
- am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Once all that is done, you should be enable to use your ADP1 as if you had a SIM card in it (we'll except for the phoning part).