I have a Samsung Gear Live. One day, all of sudden, it wouldn’t turn on after I had it charging in it’s little charging dock. I thought the problem was with the watch, and Google the symptoms led me to one of two conclusions: The watch was defective, and I should send it back under warranty. I could fix the problem by taking the watch apart, disconnecting the battery for a minute, and then reconnecting the battery.
This weekend I finally broke down and installed a Nest thermostat in my house. They have a nice compatibility wizard which does a pretty good job of showing you how to wire up your Nest based on the wires you can see in your existing thermostat. There were two gotchas that their wiring diagram didn’t cover. Here is a picture of the old thermostat (a Rodgers-White): Notice that there were two W wires.
Over the Easter long weekend, I experience my own resurrection of sorts. On Thursday just before Easter I noticed that my NAS, a Thecus N3200 Pro with three Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives in a RAID5 array, was beeping and displaying a “RAID degraded” message. I didn’t worry about it to much, as it was late on Thursday, and I figured I was safe/okay with three drives in a RAID5 array.
After a bit of tinkering, I managed to provision my ADP1 setup without a SIM card. A bit of google, and here is what I did: Download the Android SDK. In my case, I unzipped it to C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1. Connection the phone via the USB cable to my computer. When the phone asks for a device. You'll get the new hardware dialog, when prompted for the drivers, you'll need to specify the location.
After an uneventful flight from YEG to PSP, I'm settled in with my family. After spending some time with beer at the pool, I'm sitting down with my Android Dev Phone 1 that I ordered last week (ship to PSP). First impressions: it seems like a nice phone, and I like the fact it has a keyboard. I don't have a SIM card to help with provisioning the phone, so all I get is this message saying "No SIM in phone" and "Emergency call".
Today I got a new hard drive for my web server, to replace the one that died back in February. Hopefully the new 750GB drive will serve me as well as (or better) the old 200GB WD Cavair. I must admit, I was a bit suprised at how cheap it was to get such a big HD. The first order of business was to move my web site off it's current home and onto it's new, more permanent one.