Getting Starting with my ADP1

After a bit of tinkering, I managed to provision my ADP1 setup without a SIM card.  A bit of google, and here is what I did

  1. Download the Android SDK.  In my case, I unzipped it to C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1.
  2. Connection the phone via the USB cable to my computer.  When the phone asks for a device.
  3. You’ll get the new hardware dialog, when prompted for the drivers, you’ll need to specify the location.  The Android SDK has the drivers, in my case they were at C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\usb_driver\x86.
  4. Once you have the drivers installed cd to c:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools.
  5. Type adb devices.  This should list all the Android devices that you have connected.  If you don’t see any devices listed, then you have a problem.
  6. Type adb shell.  This will direct your commands to your ADP1
  7. Now while at the adb shell, su to root, then : 
  8. cd /data/data/
  9. sqlite3 settings.db
  10. INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES (‘device_provisioned’, 1);
  11. .quit
  12. Reboot the phone
  13. adb shell
  14. am start –a android.intent.action.MAIN –n

Once all that is done, you should be enable to use your ADP1 as if you had a SIM card in it (we’ll except for the phoning part).

Useful link:  FAQ: Unlocking/Activating a G1 or ADP1 Without A Sim Card.